Monday, May 2, 2011

A First Attempt

I have to drive at least 45 minutes away to buy a loaf of organic bread. My local grocery stores carried it at one time, but when I looked for it my past visit, I couldn't find any! So, last night I looked for a recipe to make my own organic honey whole wheat bread. I finally found one that was simple enough for me to use and that didn't require a bread machine. I used this recipe, but altered it a little.

This is what I did:
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons of organic sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons of organic butter
2 package active dry yeast (1/2 cup hot water to activate)
2 cups organic whole wheat flour
1 cup organic unbleached flour (added 1/4 cup at a time)
2 heaping tablespoons of organic honey
 nonstick cooking spray  
 
I followed all the same cooking steps, except I added the honey after the cups of whole wheat flour. It turned out pretty yummy!!!


Ingredients, plus honey

Forgot to take a picture before we started munching!

Today we had a picnic with Aunt Marie and Sluz. Austin, Abi, and I made 'food art' for everyone. So much FUN!!!

Abi's hot dog bun man

Austin's clam

My Bug

Austin's funny guy

Abi's two pickles in a pod

Sweet sushi (out of Abi's craft magazine)

Strawberry ladybugs

No comments: