Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cruisin' With the Brewers Day 5, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Grand Cayman was my favorite port. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The waters were the clearest there, we saw the most sea life there too! Because the boat couldn't dock, they put out the anchor and little boats had to sail out to pick us up from the ship. Once we made it to shore, we found our coordinators for our excursion: Parasailing and snorkeling. Unfortunately, the winds on the sea were too strong and our excursion was cancelled. I wasn't too broken up about it though because that means we would be refunded our money! Our guide lead us to a snorkeling rental shop where there was access to the water. We got our gear on and headed out further into the water when Taunya started yelling 'SHARK'! She saw two fins on top of the water and thought it was a shark! Javier went under the water and saw a HUGE fish swimming toward us and thought it was a barracuda. Neither are people friendly, so we got out of the water as quickly as we could. Javi asked our guide if either type of fish were common in that area. He said no, so ventured out again. The water was bothering my eyes again, so I hung back on the shore. Sitting in the water, a white fish a little smaller than my hand kept swimming around my feet. And a dog that had wandered up was pawing at the water trying to catch a fish. I could feel my skin getting a little toasty, so I went up to some covered picnic tables that overlooked the water. From there I could see 3 of the HUGE fish that we had seen earlier. The water was so clear!!! Visiting Galveston for so many years, I am not used to that! I yelled out to Taunya, Javi and Mark that the fish were heading their way. Luckily, they were close enough to the shore that they could get out of the water. The fish were completely harmless, but they were HUGE...which made them very scary! While snorkeling, Mark, Taunya, and Javi saw the wreckage from a shipwreck and a sea turtle. Afterwards, we explored the town....that's code for: went shopping!!! For lunch, we voted to eat at a local restaurant just to experience a little of the culture. Boy was that a mistake! We waited an hour after placing our order to get our food and the place wasn't even busy! I ordered the coconut shrimp and they were still raw in the middle. So, that was disappointing! Mark enjoyed his meal though, he had a turtle burger!!! We looked in few more shops and then got back on the boat. While we waited in line to get on board, Mark and Javi drank out of a real coconut. There was a local there with a machete cracking them open and sticking a straw in them, for a small fee of course!! It was our second formal night. Sadly, I didn't take any picture that night because the battery in our camera was dead!!! I'll have to see what pictures Taunya took.
 Taunya and Javier, patiently waiting for our lunch!

 Me and Mark at lunch, beautiful view!!

Mark's turtle burger 


 The little boat that takes passengers back and forth between the ship and shore

Isn't the water beautiful!!!! 

Mark and Javi with their coconuts 

 My brother and Rita had this cake sent to our room, it was quite tasty!!!

Mark commented a time or two that the water was 'SO BLUE'!

Our bed buddy!

No comments: