Saturday, April 30, 2011

Soft Yet Crispy Sugar Cookies

I just made some of the YUMMIEST sugar cookies EVER! I have always wondered how to get cookies soft like you buy at the bakery. I read tonight in my cook book these tips for soft cookies: choose a recipe with little butter and a lot of liquid ingredients, substitute brown sugar for part of the sugar requirement, and add an egg. So, while trying to feed Mark's sugar crave, this is the recipe (partially organic!) I used:

1 stick of organic butter, softened
1/2 cup of shortening (I think a good organic substitute would be organic coconut oil, but I haven't looked into it to see)
1 cup of organic sugar
1 cup of organic brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
5 organic egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4-1/2 organic fat free milk

Cream together shortening and butter. Add sugars and mix well. Add baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Blend in egg yolks and then remaining ingredients. Use a large tablespoon to drop cookies onto parchment paper (the key to baking good cookies is parchment paper!!!) Bake at 300 for 12 minutes. Remove and allow to set on pan for 3-5 minutes. Move to cooling rack. These were so yummy!! Hopefully next time I make them will be with all organic ingredients!!!

1 comment:

Jenni Deiderich said...

Another good way to get really soft cookies is to use cake mixes (there are organic ones available). You make it with just 1 egg and 1/2 C oil. I've seen quite a few recipes and the amount of oil varies and some call for water. You end up with really thick cake batter that makes EXCELLENT cookies and it's super fast to do.