Saturday, April 30, 2011

CH-CH-CHANGES...

If you know anything about me, then you know that I love Splenda. In fact, this year at our women's annual Christmas dinner at church all the ladies made sure to get to the splenda packs before I did!! But I've heard before that splenda is no good for a person. And until I read this article, I have pretty much been in denial!

We also watched Jamie Oliver: Food Revolution this week. This was an episode where he showed how "bargain meat" is processed. The reason ground beef is so cheap is because of what it is. It's all the nasty leftover meat that no one wants to eat. But yet, they add some chemicals such as ammonia with water (I clean dog urine out of my carpet with ammonia!!!!) and then grind it up and sell it.

Well, after discussing it with Mark and the kids, we decided that it's time for a change. I am very interested in learning more about how we process our food. And after reading, probably one too many articles, we have decided that organic is the way to go. Organic foods are the closest you can get to natural, no chemicals, no food coloring, etc. Also, for me that means no more Diet Dr Pepper or high-fructose-corn syrup-filled coffee creamer. These are staples in my diet...it my be a tough change!!! When I cleaned out the pantry, we donated everything that was unopened. To minimize waste, anything that was already opened and that we go through quickly we will use. The first organic make was inspired by my friend, Sarah. We made creamy yogurt strawberry popsicles.

                                            
YUM!!! And that isn't just any ordinary jar of honey (the only food that never goes bad), it's a fresh jar straight from the bees kept on Mark's grandpa's ranch!

The recipe I used I found here:
1 cup of organic strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup of organic yogurt (I used vanilla, low-fat)
2 tablespoons of honey (or organic maple syrup)
puree the strawberries with the honey, and then fold the strawberry mixture into the yogurt

Pour them into your popsicle holders, freeze and enjoy!!!!

They turned out quite yummy!!! While I made them, the kids made costumes out of paper sacks and shoe boxes. They called themselves 'Recycle Robots'!!! They keep me laughing!
Recycle Robots!

This week Abi has been learning about the butterfly lifecycle in science. She takes her caterpillars, Abi jr, Austin jr, and Keetos every where she goes!! The caterpillars are in the process of making their chrysalis, I'll post a picture after they have finished. To wrap up the week on butterflies, Abi and I made these special treats for her friends, the little sisters of Austin's baseball team. 

Supplies needed to make the butterfly body: clothespins, assorted colors of acrylic paint, glitter, small googly eyes, pipe cleaners, small snack ziplock baggies, and trailmix

Paint one side of the clip and sprinkle with glitter

Glue on two tiny googly eyes, fill the snack size ziplock bags with trailmix, and clip on a pipe cleaner for the antennae
This magazine also has lots of cool activities that the kids can do on their own!

On Monday, the kids and I are having a picnic with Aunt Marie and Aunt Lala. We will be making food art to make our lunch. One of our 'art' activities will be making another craft out of this magazine: Sweet Sushi, made from pound cake, cake frosting, and assorted candies. I'll post pictures from that activity too!!

No comments: